Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Reusable Dryer Lint?

I have heard of reusable ways to use dryer sheets, but dryer lint? Well, believe it or not, yes you can now re-use your dryer lint, for of all things, the children.

I recently picked up the Real Simple Fall 2009 Family special edition, hoping that I could find some special nugget for streamlining my back to school schedule, find a fast dinner recipe for those busy soccer evenings, or maybe just maybe find some nice back to school supply that would bring a smile to my children's faces. Never did I imagine finding something that would fit so perfectly on my blog.

The page in the magazine has been dog eared and long forgotten for a few weeks, until tonight when SP picked it up and I heard him shriek, "Now that is disgusting!" and I knew exactly what he had found. So you might think it's disgusting, and you might even think me crazy for finding merit in this activity for children that reuses of all things dryer lint, but if you know me at all by now you will know that I just love the ingenuity in this precious find.

So what is this find?




for the original recipe, please click the link below
Dryer Lint as Modeling Dough


To make the modeling dough:
1. Place 3 cups (shredded) dryer lint into a pot.
2. Pour in 2 cups water.
3. Stir in 1 cup flour.
4. Add ½ teaspoon vegetable oil.
5. If desired, add food coloring.

6. Stir continuously over low heat until the mixture binds together and is of a smooth consistency.

7. Pour onto a sheet of wax paper to cool.

8. Shape as you wish.

I have not tried this recipe yet, but if Real Simple published it, it must work. I am also still happily using my clothesline, so I am not creating too much dryer lint these days, but I can guarantee you that when the colder months come and I am home alone with Baby, this is one activity we will most certainly be trying! I will let you know how it goes and take some pictures of the little critters we make.

No comments: