Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Locally Known and Grown on Merrymeeting Bay

"We see local as: the closest place to get what you need at the lowest environmental cost."

The only salad that can make me happier than one that I have grown and made myself is a salad from Locally Known. I first found them at Whole Foods in Portland and have been so sad for over a year that I could not get them at my local Hannafords. Then the other day as I walked in and paused to pick up a paper, my eye swept across the salad cooler and there they were. Locally Known has made it to my town at long last! These folks have a mission akin to my own personal vision for the future and we too hope to farm, once again, on the shores of the Merrymeeting Bay. In their mission statement they write:
"At Locally Known, our goal is to provide the east coast with readily available, regionally grown, organic produce. We are supporting and establishing regional organic farms by creating a market and regional distribution network currently unavailable to New England's organic producers. Sustainability, environmental stewardship and social responsibility are the founding principles of company policy."
My thanks goes out to the folks at Locally Known for all that you do, particularly for making my daily cheese sandwich even better with your Baby Arugula! What I need to do is to get Hannafords to stock ALL their products year round so that my home made Ceasar Salads will be perfect year round.

1 comment:

Rachel and Reggie said...

Dear Sustaiable ME readers:
We, at Locally Known, are trying to get our other greens into Hannaford Supermarkets. We need to show Hannaford that there is a demand for other Locally Known products, and the only way we can do that is with your help. If you enjoy our Arugula and want to see our other greens on the shelf, just ask. The next time you go to your local Hannaford store, speak with the produce manager and request more Locally Known Products. The more requests the better, so tell your friends!

Thank you for your support, enjoy!
-Rachel

www.locallyknownfoods.com