Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Support your local economy and join a CSA!

Last week, when I had a few minutes to myself, I stopped into the lovely Beth's Cafe for a bite to eat. I highly recommend a trip to Beth's to help support our local economy. But I am not alone in this recommendation, as she was recently in an article in the New York Times! While enjoying my yummy chicken salad on sour dough with cranberries, I saw on the wall a poster for a local farm called Alma Farm that offered Community Supported Agriculture, or CSA.

Community Supported Agriculture, aka CSA, is a great way to support your local farmers and growers. CSA is a group of individuals who pledge support to a farm operation so that the farmland becomes the community's farm, with the growers and consumers providing mutual support and sharing the risks and benefits of food production. Typically, members or "share-holders" of the farm pledge in advance to cover the anticipated costs of the farm operation and farmer's salary. In return, they receive shares in the farm's bounty throughout the growing season, as well as satisfaction gained from reconnecting to the land and participating directly in food production. More information about CSA can be found at Local Harvest.

I am very excited to peruse their CSA application and become a share holder. We are particularly interested in the meats we may be able to restock our freezer with.

No comments: